My journal strip for this week is: Write about some places you went with your Mother.
This is a good one! I have some really great memories about places I've been with my mother. My mom always made me feel special when we were alone together. I remember being about 10 years old when she intoduced me to concerts and cultural events. The one that stands out in my mind was going to the Messiah when we lived in Bakersfield. They did it at the civic center and it was very fun getting dressed up and going out to these events. It was a great way to teach culture and concert etiquette. I guess because I started playing the flute that year, it was very memorable to watch the orchestra and listen for the different instruments. I loved going and it became a regular thing for us for a few years until we moved to Utah. I credit my love for music to my mom for taking me to these types of events. It made me see the reward in working hard and practicing. We haven't been for many years but this year we went to the Messiah "sing-in" which was great fun! Over the years she has supported me by coming to my concerts and plays and I always knew she would enjoy coming.
Another great memory was, again, when we lived in California. I was a "Campfire Girl" (for those of you who have never heard of them, they are similar to Girl Scouts). We were going to Magic Mountain for Campfire Girls and mom volunteered to be a chaperone. I remember dragging her onto some of bigger rides, which scared the heck out of her. But she went along like a good sport (even if her eyes were closed most of the time..."Shaun, are we up yet?") I loved having her with me.
One of the most significant places I went with my mom was when she picked me up in Italy after my mission. Looking back, I am amazed that she did that all alone! Never travelling before out of the country, she hops a plane to Rome! She stayed with me the last day of my mission in our apartment (we had an extra bed) and walked miles with me that last day to meet some of my contacts and member friends. She was so exhausted after that first day! But I was so pleased to have her there to see how I had been living and working for the past 18 months. She even arranged for us to fly to Sardegna for a few days to meet the wonderful people I worked with for 6 months. (My happy place) Then we were off for a whirlwind 2 weeks around Europe! What a great memory to be able to experience all of these places and cultures and food together, just the two of us! It really was a time I will cherish for the rest of my life! It was a great help in making the transition from Missionary to normal person again.
My mom was also the person to be my escort when I went through the temple for the first time. I remember being a bit nervous and apprehensive as I prepared for this most important step. But mom, lovingly was there to calm my nerves and help me prepare to make those most sacred covenants. Knowing she had been through this made me be brave and strong. Because she set the example, I knew that I could do it, too.
Mom, we have travelled, literally, many roads together. I am so thankful that I've had you with me to help me be the person I am. I admire your great strength. You are an amazing person but more than that, an amazing mother!
1 comment:
I LOVE this idea! How can I get a jar with all the strips? I never know what to write about and DON'T want to do a travel log.
Post a Comment