
Gabe had to go to the school for DRA testing and so I decided that I would use that as an excuse for some together time with me. We went to the school and he met his new 1st grade teacher. She was really nice and cute with him. She said he was nearly to a second grade level in reading. So I'm happy. We didn't do as much reading over the summer as I would have liked, but oh, well....We got the school thing out of the way and then I gave him the choice of where he wanted to go eat. He, of course chose McD's. Not my favorite, but he had the choice. Then off for some school shopping. He was cute and fun and I enjoyed being with him for some one-on-one time. I think it's good for developing a close relationship because you can engage in conversation that otherwise wouldn't take place. Plus they know they are special when they get your time all to themselves. He's a good boy and I can't believe he's grown so much this summer.
The sad thing is that I did the same thing with Jake the next day. This time I forgot the camera! Took him to be tested for Kindergarten, went to lunch (this time at "BK"--that's what he called it!!! Another reason to get rid of TV), and then school shopping. For some reason it wasn't nearly as easy as it was with Gabe. I think Jake is hung up on certain things (no button shirts--including Polo's). He's all about a Star Wars shirt and he wasn't happy with anything until we got one. But he got Sketchers! (got to turn off the TV)
I think this will be a tradition. I liked my time alone with each one. And I know that they liked being alone with me.
4 comments:
That is so fun. I love one on one time with my boys!
Great post. Sounds like fun one on one time with your boys. I agree on the shopping thing. I like it best with my kids who aren't as high-maintenance and choosy about their clothes. Good luck with back to school! Wished we'd had more time in Utah to get together. Ben is there so few days - bummer! Maybe next year!
Hey friend!! I stumbled upon you after looking around on Shelby Hixon's site! I'm so glad! Now I can update myself on your life, although my mom called me immediatley after seeing you at Target and did a great job updating me then. She had such fun seeing you.
The back to school shopping lunch date is a tradition I have been doing with each of my boys the past 4 years...I love it. I just finished my last one today. You are a much better mom than me however, because when my 9 year old Cade requested "Panda", I told him it was closed, because I got deathly sick last time I was there. He settled for Training Table, which was a plus for me, only having to share my cheese fries with him. Anyhoo, I love ya and it was so fun to read through your blog and look at all your pics! When is Sar going to do one, or is she anti?
You're awesome!
Love, Jill Murdock
Dates with mom are the best!
Post a Comment