This time of year is magical and special, but it's also very stressful! In the past I have just cursed the fact that my parents are divorced mainly because it takes it's toll on my holiday spirit. Does that sound so selfish? Isn't this a time for giving? Oh, I've been the rounds with this and finally a few years ago my sister, Sarah, and I finally found a solution for how to spend Christmas with our parents. Mind you I want to spend Christmas with both of them. I just know that Christmas Eve belongs with mom and Todd's parents need equal time, as well. So when can we be with dad. We didn't want him to feel like spending time with him was the consolation prize. So we started having Breakfast with him one of the few days prior to Christmas. We usually have French toast with magic syrup (yum!), Sarah's Quiche, and some sort of breakfast meat or meats....What could be wrong with that? We usually have it at Sarah's house (I think because she has a piano). It's turned into something we all really look forward to. Not Ham and potatoes, but breakfast all together. After breakfast we all share a little talent and sing or play for each other. This year Sam also shared a thought about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon which totally put Christmas in perspective for all of us. I love the intimacy of a family setting and sharing ourselves with each other. So this really does kick off my Christmas celebration. Here are a few photos I took of us at Sarah's cute house with some of her cute decor that sets the mood.
Todd took some time off to be with all of us. He really does appreciate family. I love him for that!
My gorgeous 16 yr. old (newly licensed, I might add) niece!
Buzz digging in! He's getting so cute and manly...at least his voice is! So funny!
French Toast with magic syrup and two varieties of breakfast meats! Bibbity, bobbity BACON! Seriously? What is better?
Special touches of Christmas all around the house.
My wonderful sister!
More Decor...
Sam enjoying!
Eliza probably texting
Sam sharing some thoughts...very nice
Claire was anticipating opening gifts from Grandpa
Andy played "Good King Wenceslas" for us! Good Job Andy!
Grandpa and Andy
Jake opening his game from Grandpa and Grandma Anne
Gabe....
Jack...
Sarah reading through a flour-less cake recipe with a spring form pan from Anne and Dad
Dad getting some new family pictures of all us to hang on his wall.
Anyway, it was a really great morning spent with Dad and Anne and it's not big and glitzy, but it is warm and sweet and I'm glad I have this "extra" Christmas celebration with my Dad and Anne, and my sister and her family. Let the celebrations begin!
















1 comment:
I love how you thoughtfully juggle all the traditions at Christmas time. Your blog photos are great.
I loved seeing a peek at your sister's Christmas decor. Darling!
The photos of the boys singing are so cute. You captured some great expressions!
Post a Comment