Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Monticello: My new found love for Jefferson

So Michelle and I decided to reserve a hotel room and take off down to Charlottesville as soon as the kids walked in from school.  Like I said in my previous post, Michelle deferred to me to drive and I accepted without hesitation.  I really don't mind driving because it gives me perspective and a hands-on way of figuring out where I am in relation from place to place.

After we finally got thru the worst of the traffic (which was pretty bad) I was able to notice the landscape and the beauty of the drive.  I also noticed that along the roads were lots of historical landmarks which seemed to be mostly of Civil War times.  I think it  would be so great to just spend some time stopping at these places along the way and learning about what they are and what happened there.  Another time, perhaps.  I really loved the rolling hills and tall trees and could totally visualize Jefferson and Madison riding through the trees on their horses coming and going from place to place.  I also could imagine the indians hiding in these groves along the roads.

After a crazy night, we finally made our way up and out to Monticello.  It really is a beautiful place and I can totally understand why Jefferson's family loved it there.  Thomas Jefferson actually inherited the land from his father.  The view is beautiful and even a portion of it now it looks down over the University of Virginia (Of which Thomas Jefferson was the founder).

Jefferson loved to learn and loved to read!  He found pure joy in being at Monticello with his family and his books.  He was interested in everything, it seems, from Gardening to astronomy.  He sold his collection of books that became the nucleus of the Library of Congress.

Monticello is a beautiful, self sustaining plantation that had hundreds of slaves.  Jefferson is criticized for this, but as I have thought about it, I think I have a small understanding of how he knew that it was a problem for a different generation.  Jefferson really was ahead of his time in some of the more modern conveniences of the time.  He always looked for a "better way" to do things which is very apparent in his house and around the plantation.  He had indoor toilets with a plumbing system, He had a large ice house, he had figured out a dumb waiter system to get wine from his cellar.  I got the strong feeling that he was a man who believed in convenience and I think if he were to see our day, he would love the computer age!

 He studied architecture and while he was in Europe as ambassador of France and secretary of state he admired and sent home drawings and finally brought his ideas home with him and started building Monticello. Also the Virginia State Capitol and University of Virginia also built after this same classical Roman style.

 This thing is actually hooked to a weather vane on the roof, but he figured a way to be able to stay inside his home and be able to peek out the window and be able to tell which way the wind was blowing. Very ingenious!


Out on the back side of the house are these wooden planked walkways, Michelle pointed out the windows underneath.  We walked around where you could go under to the stables, storage areas and slave quarters.  It's pretty impressive to see this small city almost completely underground. Can you see the windows under the walkway.  This is the outside view and then here's  (opposite) what it looks like from below.



You come out from the sides where these columns are and there are the doors into the different quarters and working areas.











 My other favorite things I learned or was reminded about Thomas Jefferson besides being our third president and drafting the Declaration of Independence are: He was responsible for the Louisiana Purchase, He supported the Lewis and Clark expedition, drafted the Virginia statute for religious freedom with his friend, James Madison, and he died a few hours before his friend, John Adams on July 4, 1826.



Favorite Quotes by Thomas Jefferson:
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man".

"Never spend money before you have earned it".

"Never buy what you don't want because it is cheap"

Here are just some different views of the house and yard.  It was a semi overcast day, but not as cold and dreary as it could have been!  We had so much fun together and I just love the education I got.  For sure I have a much better understanding of him, not only as one of the founders of this country, but as a God-fearing, educated man.  I am so glad we made the effort to go and I am so grateful my sweet sister was not only willing but happy to take me and drag her kiddies with us.  They were so good and we had a nice time!


 On the way home we found out that we passed right by Montpelier, which was the home of James and Dolly Madison.  Unfortunately, we spent too much time at Monticello, that we were a half hour late getting to Montpelier and couldn't go through.  But we did crash the gate and drove up onto the grounds and I took a picture!  Oh, well, maybe next time.
Next, The DC Temple....Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

What a fun trip. I want to visit Monticello too!

Thanks for posting this. I can live vicariously, until it's time for our family vacation!