Sunday, April 3, 2011

Virginia with Mik

So I've been so bad at keeping up these past few months on my little blog!  I think from a lack of interesting material.  So now I feel like I have something to blog about.

I left Utah on March 23 all by myself.  That is an important part of this trip.  I really felt the need to do something to fill up my proverbial vessel.  I flew to Baltimore to be met by my sister Mik (that's Michelle to you!) and her three lively children.    Since her husband is deployed in Afghanistan right now, it seemed like as good of time as any to visit and not be an infringement.

She has a cute little home in Woodbridge, Virginia.  Woodbridge is a good name for it since her house sits in the woods.  She has neighbors, yes, but the trees are amazing and tall.  I felt right at home here and really have enjoyed the time I've been able to spend with her here in her home.  I feel bad that I never made the trip to Texas while they were there.  So glad that I made the effort this time.

I wasn't really planning on coming and being so "touristy" but I think for her it is the matter of venturing out alone.  With me, at least she had another adult with her and  right off the bat she deferred to me as driver.  So she was the co-pilot for most of the week as we ventured out around Virginia.


The first day after I arrived we went to Mount Vernon to see George Washington's estate.  It's only about 10 or 15 minutes from her house(everything here is measured in minutes not miles).  In Spite of the cold rainy weather, we wandered around and saw the Mansion House, the slave quarters, the beautiful gardens and the spectacular view of the Potomac from the back porch!  I fell in love with the row of Rocking Chairs that lined the back of the house.  I imagine George and Martha entertaining guests or even quietly sitting and watching the fireflies alone together after the sun sets.


I was impressed that the entire place is self-sufficient and that the hundreds of people that lived and worked there could live off their labors.  There are still sheep and cattle kept there.  The Potomac was also a source of food for those that lived at Mt. Vernon.



 The Blacksmith





We visited George Washington's tomb which is right there on sight.  I find it interesting that he wanted to be known as General Washington instead of President Washington.  He was much more proud of that service he rendered as a military figure rather than the first president of the United States.  In fact, after America won its independence from Brittain, he gave up his commission, and also his congressional power to return to Mt. Vernon to farm.  He was very reluctant to answer the call of the people for his leadership.  He served as President for two terms.

I really enjoyed Mt. Vernon.  I guess because it's not as popular as the other DC sights, yet it's so rich with history.  I also was impressed at how well it's preserved and then realized because it's in the care of the Mt. Vernon Ladies Association, not the Federal Government!  I also saw the Arnold Frieberg original painting of Washington Praying.  It's on display in the visitors center.

Next?  Monticello and Thomas Jefferson.

2 comments:

Shaunna said...

I was so glad to show you the things that have brought so much patriotism into my heart. Much like Family history, visiting these historical monuments turns my hearts to my forefathers. They were amazing men, who literally risked their lives for our freedom. Their radical ideas of freedom if not successful would of brought them the guilitine. They were considered traitors. I am thankful for George Washington and the others who played such an important in the forming of this great nation.

May I suggest that perhaps they too are counting on us to preserve what they create.

Shaunna said...

Funny, Michelle, your comment shows up with my name! Thanks for your words, I concur! Love ya!