Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I Really Needed this Exercise in Gratitude!

These past few weeks as I have been keeping my thankful thoughts fresh in the forefront of my mind, I've come to realize how I've been blessed in looking outside of my own self to really see the many ways I've been blessed.  I don't mean it by illustrating how much I have in relation to what others have not, but in the way I've seen how the Lord blesses us with trials to make us the refined individuals he wants us to become.  I've noticed that He isn't concerned with equality, only making us our best selves.

Yesterday I had a visit with a lady that is the mom of five children and a husband that has been unemployed for eight months.  She was telling me of the struggle that she has been having with her husband and the deep depression he's in because of his struggle in finding work.  My heart hurt for her as she vented her frustration and worry for her husband.  She hates feeling like a burden to family as the holidays are approaching.  I felt blessed to be the person she felt she could share her feelings with.  I know it takes a lot of humility to share.

Tonight I ran by the grocery store to grab a few last minute items for Thanksgiving dinner.  As I was walking in, there were 10 or 15 firemen all standing outside trying to collect donations for one of their fellow firefighters who had a catastrophic stroke while he was on duty earlier in the month.  His wife is pregnant with their first baby.  I couldn't help but feel sadness thinking of his family and how hard it's going to be for his family no matter what the outcome...

So here we are...in our little trial.  I don't know what the outcome is going to be.  We don't know what our future holds and the uncertainty, at times, is excruciating, but I feel that I'm being shown how very much I have and how very strong I am.  Isn't that a tender mercy?  Recently a video just came out by a Christian artist that is also a Mormon songwriter with a new song that really touched my heart.  The video features a woman who had over 80% of her body burned in a plane crash with her husband.  Miraculously they both survived, but with years of pain and healing.   At the end there are many women that are holding up signs describing the trials that have burdened their lives.  I just felt very comforted in knowing that maybe these things are the "Beautiful Heartbreaks" we all suffer through in order to become the strong beings He's molding us into.  Here is the video:  Beautiful heartbreak


2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the song and for your testimony. I love you!

Rio Linda Rigby said...

I've been thinking a lot about the things that we are so blessed with too. I can't help but think about how my life is relatively easy. I always think that. There's not a thing that I need. I have everything I've ever wanted. I feel sometimes that we are so blessed to live in this country, to have the safety, the freedom, the quality of life. We are SO lucky.

Knowing this I feel a responsibility to give back. Thanks for sharing.