
I just finished this book and although it was an easy read, it was very difficult. I had a hard time imagining how this young woman managed to survive under such frightening and difficult circumstances, but I was also so amazed and I admire so much her spirit and her incredible faith. She was able to overcome the tragedy of losing everything (her family, home, country) to the hatred and prejudice of people because of her incredible faith in God. Her example of Faith and how she knew that God loved her was such a great example to me. I am so amazed that her faith brought her the understanding that she needed in order to forgive the vilest of murderers so that she could live her life without anger, bitterness and the hate that is so much a part of our human nature especially when we feel we have been wronged. Her spiritual journey is what made this a good experience for me. I don't like to hear about human suffering unless there is something to be learned from it. It reminds me of the book "Man's Search for Meaning" By Victor Frankl. Difficult to read about how one person can treat another, but such lessons learned. This young woman was one of the recipients of the Freedom Award given this year at the Freedom Festival. I had heard bits and pieces of the story before. But I never really understood the conflict in Rwanda and what exactly happened there. I just get sick when I think that world turned their backs on this little country because, politically, there was no motivation to step in and stop the conflict. So anyway, it was a short read and I really feel like I was educated about this one event in world history. I definately recommend it. Then if you like it, I would recommend Hotel Rwanda. A movie based on a true story of a guy that saves 1200 people during this same genocide, at the peril of his own life and the lives of his wife and children. Very enlightening!
4 comments:
That looks like a good read.I'll have to check it out.
If you like the book you should watch Hotel Rwanda, too. It adds to the story. I thought it was very inspiring--both of them.
I read this book last year and loved it!!! I could not believe what she went through. And that is a true story was amazing!
Hotel Rwanda is one of my favorite movies! I think I am going to read that book! Thanks!
Post a Comment